Thursday, November 1, 2007

I'm Clean!!!

My daily ritual this past week has included waking up and showering, then spending a good hour going through my hair with a nit comb to try to get the leftover lice out and their unhatched eggs. I was finding about 20 eggs and a couple live ones up until yesterday when I finally had a breakthrough and discovered white vinegar! I sprayed it into my hair each time I showered, morning and night, and let it dry like that. Since then, the numbers have drastically dropped to six yesterday and two this morning....AND ZERO tonight!!! I am so so so so happy! Because I am paranoid, I will probably continue doing this twice a day at least tomorrow and maybe Saturday, but hopefully by Sunday and a couple days of zeros I will try to tone it down a bit to once a day until I can finally phase nit combing my hair everyday. I feel clean and cannot describe the incredible amounts of relief I am feeling.

My sister-in-law thought of where we might have picked up the lice and both Jeff and I feel pretty confident that she is right. A few weeks ago now Jeff went on a dental school trip to rural Kentucky to do sealants on underprivileged elementary aged children. He worked with them for two days and was definitely close to their hair. My guess is he picked them up here and brought them home with him. They probably loved me because I have longer hair and more hair on my head then Jeff, so I started itching first. Anyway, the timing is perfect. Most of the time people have lice for 2-3 weeks before finding out. I am just so so so thankful that we may be on the uphill now! Yeah!

2 comments:

X said...

yay!!! hope those little bugs stay away forever!

Amber said...

Hooray! Now we can hang out again.:) Noel and I had the same thought as your sister-in-law. Those kids carry that stuff around a lot! We have had two lice cases in my class, and I'm pretty surprised I haven't brought any home.