Friday, November 9, 2007

Granola Mix

This is mainly for my sister, Valissa, so she can make this herself, but if anyone else wants the recipe, feel free to try it out. I usually cater it to my own personal preferences in terms of nuts I add-or don't add and the kind of oats I use. It is yummy and healthy and all natural (minus the brown sugar, which you could use honey instead if you wanted). Just a quick tip, this recipe makes a ton of granola, so I put it in two large Ziploc bags and stick them in the freezer. When I want some, I pour a little in a cereal bowl and add milk. The frozen granola makes the milk colder and it also stays crunchy a bit longer. Plus, it is super duper filling!

10 c. oats (I usually go to the grocery/health food store and buy them in the bulk section AND I mix barley, wheat oats, etc.)
1 c. wheat germ (I usually substitute ground up flax seed)
2 c. raw sunflower seeds
1 c. sesame seeds (blended up) or other mixture of seeds (I use amaranth because it is supposed to be really good for you)
1/2 lb. shredded coconut (you can leave this out if you want)
3 c. almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans or whatever you want (I put in a little more than this and you can chop them if preferred)
1 1/2 c. brown sugar (or honey)
1 1/2 c. water
1 1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. molasses (Barbadoes is a great brand)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. vanilla

Directions: Preheat oven to 350F. In large bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, coconut, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and nuts. In saucepan combine brown sugar, water, oil, honey, molasses, salt, cinnamon and vanilla. Heat until sugar is dissolved, but DO NOT BOIL!!! Pour syrup over dry ingredients and stir well. On la arge cookie sheet or cake pan, spread granola and cook 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn over and cook 15 more minutes. Can add raisins too!

A word on behalf of the coconut...my husband, who claims he hates coconut, never even noticed there is coconut in it and still has no idea. Also, he claims he hates nuts (especially pecans and walnuts) but ate them as well. Chop them up if you don't like them and you won't even notice they are there!

2 comments:

alyssa said...

Mmmm. I love granola. I have a good low fat one too if you are wanting to try a new one.
By the way, our address is
attackbunny.blogspot.com
Talk to you soon!

X said...

oooh that sounds yummy!