Monday, October 29, 2007

Our weekend

Jeff and I had a great weekend...until yesterday. I went home teaching with Jeff and at our second visit, I felt an itch behind my ear, so I itched it and a bug was on my fingernail when I looked at it after itching...Let me back up for a minute. I have been itching NONSTOP on my head for the past 1 1/2 weeks. I thought it was hormonal and didn't want to have yet another problem to go see the doctor about, so I didn't say anything. BAD IDEA!!! So there I was, sitting on someone's couch in our ward with Jeff teaching the lesson and I have a bug on my fingernail and finally know that I have lice or fleas that is causing me to itch. What do I do? I wanted Jeff to see it, so I silently put it in front of his face, hoping he would just look at it and keep on teaching without them noticing. He didn't quite do that and soon everyone in the house knew that I had lice! Actually, I am kind of grateful that it happened at the house that it did because the wife just finished medical school and so she looked at the bug and identified it as lice and then offerred to look through my hair for eggs. And there were a lot. How kind of her...but how embarassing! I have absolutely no idea how long I have had them or where I could have gotten them. I am such a germ a phobe that I never even sit on people's couches normal unless I really know them. I usually just sit on the edge of the couch and try not to touch anything. Oh well...I have them and I have them really bad!

So, I hate to say this, but Jeff and I broke the Sabbath and went to Walmart and bought lice killing shampoo for me AND for him because he itches all over his body and has been for about two days now. Don't worry, I asked the pharmacist before using one which one was safe during pregnancy and then Jeff just got the cheap one. We also got a spray and sprayed down our mattress and all the couch cushions and today I have to go buy another bottle of spray to spray down our couches and computer chair and the car. I have been running ALL our clothes on a sanitary cycle since yesterday, but each cycle takes two hours to complete, so it is taking a long time. The gross part is that after I did the shampoo washing, Jeff had to comb through my hair and pick out all the bugs and nits (eggs--Yes, I am a pro now at lice identification along with Jeff). He found a ton of little white eggs and three HUGE full grown lice that were still alive! Does that mean the shampoo didn't work? I have no idea, but it definitely made me want to start crying. I HATE BUGS and there is nothing I can do to get them out fast! It takes weeks, so we are under quarantene (Sp?) here. The doctor said to spray and wash everything and then leave our apartment for three full days, so we may be off to a hotel. As for what else Jeff found...about 50 or so other lice bugs, not fully grown yet. Disgusting. They were all caught in the nit comb and it is gross. What a great husband though.

Soooo, I am waiting to hear back from the doctor as to what to do now because both of us are still itching all over. I don't know if it takes a couple days or what for the itching to stop, but I sure hope it stops soon and I just want all this to go away. It is my worst nightmare and I hardly slept at all last night. There is just something about knowing bugs are crawling all over your body and you can't see them and they won't go away and they keep biting you and sucking your blood and laying eggs on you...Just so you all know, the nurse said that the lice will get on anyone and it is not an issue of sanitary conditions, so Jeff and I are not dirty, but don't come visit us anytime soon. Roz, I really really hope you guys don't get them. It will be a couple weeks until we will know if we got them all and from what I have heard, it can take months to get rid of them. AHHHHHH!!! Please pray they will die before the baby comes!

P.S. I am writing this because in some ways there has to be humor in it and I am trying to find that humor. It is not something I am proud of, but we also need to let everyone know who we have come in contact with to watch for them on their kids and themselves. To anyone who does get them from me, I am so so so so sorry! I am still trying to figure out how I got them myself.

3 comments:

LeMira said...

I got lice when I was little (and so did all of my brothers), and it did go away. I remember that little comb killing my scalp, though. I feel for you. I always worried that I would get lice as a school teacher, but luckily if there was ever a break-out, the school nurse would check everyone. I never got it as an adult. Good luck -- it will go away, don't worry.

X said...

yeeps! I'm so sorry you have to go through this! If its any consolation, I've heard that lice prefer very clean hair and environments to dirty ones (people usually associate it the other way around) so I guess you have very clean hair! (((hugs))) hope it goes away very very soon!

Danica said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so so sorry!! You're in our prayers for sure!!!!