Saturday, August 4, 2007

My First Kentucky Doctor's Visit

I went to the doctor a couple days ago. It was my first time to one out here. It was at the University of Kentucky where the students that have already graduated from medical school complete their residency. I wasn't planning on going there for my pregnancy, but the woman I met was great and although she has just done 30 deliveries, I feel very comfortable with her delivering my baby. She just had one of her own and has great bedside manner. Also, I will be able to have her the whole time and she will deliver my baby, whereas if I go to another place, whichever doctor is on call at that time will deliver my baby, so there is a chance I will not like him/her or never have met them. Anyway, she will also have the head doctor there in the room to help out and supervise and an ob/gyn will be walking the halls in case he/she is needed. So far I am not scared at all about delivering...just excited!

The doctor (I call her Dr. P because her last name is forever long) measured me and I measured perfectly and we heard the heartbeat again. It was in the 150's. I am now about 5 months along. She asked if I had any concerns. My only concern so far is that I have only gained about 5 pounds still...from 139 to 144 currently and two of those pounds were put on in the past week. She said that I should not worry yet because I am measuring right on and my belly seems to be growing just fine. As long as I am eating three meals and snacking in between she said it should eventually catch up. My problem is that I am really not hungry at all. When I do eat it makes me feel sick, so I can only eat a little bit at a time. I still throw up once in awhile. Anyway, I am going to try not to worry too much about it. I think part of the reason is that I don't eat junk food and walk 45 minutes a day and lift weights still. If anyone has any thoughts on how to gain weight or their own experience, I am open to suggestions!

1 comments:

Danica said...

Don't try to gain weight, girl! Unless your dr. is worreid, keep doing what you're doing. Your baby will be fine and you will have an easier time losing the weight afterwards. It will catch up a little later on and then you'll be grateful!