Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Babysitting

Today I quit my 1 1/2 week long job of babysitting Tony, a one year old of a girl in a neighboring ward. I was going to help his mom out for a month or two until she got her job squared away and daycare, but I failed! Right now I feel lousy as I haven't ever actually quit something I didn't like, but tonight when his dad came to pick him up the words just came out, so I am done. Tony cried and cried and screamed all afternoon straight, as he does every day. I thought things would get better after a week, but he just screams unless he is being held and I had to cook dinner tonight for the missionaries so I couldn't hold him. I tried to give him a bottle and food and made sure his diaper was okay and gave him toys and set him right at my feet but to no avail. By the time his dad got there I was nearly in tears. I explained to his dad that I just can't pick him up and carry him around all day, especially being pregnant. I said I would continue to watch him until they find someone else or can put him back in daycare. I feel really bad and am trying to rationalize my quitting...really we needed the money and it gave me something to do, but I have just never had to deal with a baby that cries nonstop.

Soooo...it is back to job hunting. Seriously I think I might just be a checker or something part-time at a grocery store. I know it sounds crazy and all, but I have always wanted to try it out. I am exhausted and bummed that yet another job didn't work out. I have no idea what I am supposed to be learning from all of this besides I am questioning my ability to be a mom...I used to LOVE all of my jobs until my experience at BYU and now it has just gone downhill. And yet it can't be normal for a kid to cry all day long for 1 1/2 weeks, can it?

2 comments:

alyssa said...

I don't think that you need to feel one bit defeated. I would have done the same thing you did. No one likes a screaming kid! Don't worry- I am jobless too!
The pictures of your apartment look great. It looks like you two have done a ton of work. Feels good to get settled.
Lets get together soon. I feel like I have not seen you two lately since you are in the primary now!

Melea said...

Tell me about it! I thought you had gotten a job!?!? Did that not work out? Definitely need to do something sometime soon :). I think Jeff's parents are coming into town this weekend, but we could get together on Sunday or next weekend for sure :). We will have to have you guys over this time. Best of luck in the job search. It sure is no fun, but I am sure you will get a job in no time :)