Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Labor Day Apple Picking

For Labor Day, we went with a few other families in our ward to an apple orchard to pick apples. It was a blast and the drive out there was beautiful! Kentucky countryside is gorgeous, only I forgot to get pics of that, but I got plenty of us apple picking!

I actually went apple picking on Saturday too and made an apple pie from the apples I picked that day. I also picked blackberries that day and made freezer jam from them. I have never tasted anything better then my mom's homemade strawberry jam, but I have to say blackberry freezer jam is now the winner! I made apple crisp with the ones I picked today and I still have three huge Ziploc bags full of yummy apples too! FYI: Apples will last months in the fridge if you put them in a Ziploc bag. Following are some pics of our fun! This first is my nephew Will. He is the cutest little kid. Everyone says he looks like Jeff did when he was little, so maybe this is a sneak peek at what our baby boy will look like...? Probably not quite as cute, but hopefully close! Here is the orchard store we picked at. It is called Reed Family Orchard. They also have peaches, pears, and all kinds of berries, but there was a frost early spring that killed all the blossoms, so this year they are pretty much all apples.
Here's Jeff and I posing like the farmer with a pitch fork and strange looking wife in that one famous picture...I can't remember the name of it.

Here is Jeff and our niece, Amanda, and Garrett, our nephew. The pitch fork thing is for getting apples out of high branches...
But you can see that Garrett actually did a better job of getting the right apple.
Here is me, looking bald with my hair pulled back, but you can at lesat see my six months along belly a little better.
Jeff and I sitting in the rocking chairs just outside the country store. We sat here for awhie with everyone and ate ice cream and apples and cooled down. For those of you who may be wondering, I did pass on the ice cream. I am still going strong with my no sugar diet...almost five years!

1 comments:

Danica said...

You look so darling pregnant. You are tiny with a baby popping out. Good job with the sugar. I couldn't keep going with my no treats while pregnant. You're awesome!