Monday, March 3, 2008

GERD

Maddox has GERD, which is basically bad heart burn or acid reflux. That is why he has been so fussy lately. He has probably had it since birth, but just finally figured out that if he doesn't eat he doesn't hurt, so that is why he arches his back when I try to feed him and screams. Also, anytime we laid him on his side he would scream. The only way we could console him was by holding him upright over our shoulder. He would also scream anytime we tried to feed him, whether I try to nurse or Jeff tries a bottle. After a couple days of him not eating much of anything, I finally took him to the doctor to get a prescription: Zantac. So far, it is working a little bit, but because this has been going on for awhile, the doctor said it might take a week for his throat to heal. We finally realized this is probably why he has had so much trouble taking naps and sleeping. Now we prop him up to sleep and nap and he actually slept for two hours yesterday! A miracle! A note on babies/children not eating. It totally freaked me out. I don't think I have ever been quite so frazzled and actually considered this being my only child, although I am sure every mom has been there. It scared me to death, even more so than when Maddox was in the hospital with a heart problem. I guess I just got overwhelmed that that this condition doesn't get better until between 6-12 months of age. The thought of having to deal with a screaming child who won't eat and has to be held upright for months on end (yes, my back has never hurt more) is very daunting. BUT I still love him and the Zantac seems to be helping out considering the fact that I started this post this morning around 8:30 a.m. and it is now just after noon and during those hours Maddox was eating about half of them and sleeping the other half. Even if he does go through a couple days of not eating, he will probably be fine. He weighs in at nearly 16 pounds and he has yet to reach the 3 month mark, which will put him in the 100th percentile for weight (according to a baby book I have with a chart which may be inaccurate). He is also about 25 1/2 inches long and in 6-9 month outfits. Big boy!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Well I don't really know what to say other than at least you know what the problem was now right? If it makes you feel better, there are days that I wonder if Carter will be our one and only as well. He still goes through phases where he won't eat, he is getting much better now, but when he was tiny I eventually had to just give up nursing because he would refuse to eat and that stressed me out like none other, and then he just got ornery around 18 months and all he wanted was milk, food would just sit on his tray uneaten. I guess these are the joys of having kids. You are doing great!

Donna Danz said...

Melea--I am so happy to reconnect with you. I love your blog sight--what a neat thing to do! Congratulations on the birth of your first child--what a blessing! I am sorry you have had a few rough spots but they will pass. Just wish I lived closer to help you out once in a while. I would love to call and talk to you email me your phone number and I will call you ASAP. My email address is danzd657@centurytel.net. I am making something for your little guy and hope to have it in the mail by the end of the week. Blessings to all of you!