Friday, March 7, 2008

So being that Maddox is now three months old, I have started exercising again. I usually try to get down to our clubhouse in the mornings, but sometimes it doesn't happen until early afternoon. I put Maddox in his carseat with a few toys and he usually just sits there and plays or looks at the lights or machines in fascination. Not so anymore. Apparently Maddox doesn't like exercising. He has recently decided that his carseat is boring and sitting in it for 30 minutes or longer is unacceptable! So he devised a plan to get himself out of his carseat-pooping his pants. Without fail, Maddox times his poopy diapers to Mommy's working out time. I could wait around all morning for a poopy diaper and it won't come until I hit the treadmill. Within minutes, I hear some major grunting and straining and look down to see a bright red face and a then a huge grin! How can I be mad at that!?!? I really think Heavenly Father tied the whole pooping thing to smiling so we, as mothers and fathers, would still love our babies even though we are about wipe a stinky bum and get poo all over us. Anyway, within minutes of pooping, Maddox gets fussy, my workout ends, and we trudge back to our apartment to change his diaper. You would think that after a week or so of this happening that it would occur to me to bring diapers and wipes, but it never did until just yesterday...
Jeff was changing Maddox's diaper the other day and was observing his chunkiness when I captured this look on his face. It is one of those, "What do you think you are doing Mommy!?!? I am naked! No pictures!" looks. You would think that I would be good at changing diapers now that I have changed a couple thousand by now, but I have this tendancy to sag Maddox's diapers...bad idea, as you can see from the poo all up his back and on his clothing. But isn't that the cutest little bum you've ever seen?

Maddox also really likes to nap, but ONLY if we are holding him. Seriously, within 30 minutes of me laying him down in his crib, he will wake up and that is it, but if I hold him, he will sleep for hours on end. I am trying out some white noise today to see if that helps. So far he has been in his crib for 30 minutes with the fan on...Anyway, this is a pic of me (and my shiny face) after sitting on the couch for THREE HOURS holding an exhausted baby. Did I mention that my legs were aching and I really had to go to the bathroom by the time he finally woke up? Honestly, this is the first time I have held him so he could get some rest. I finally just started to feel bad for him. He was so tired and rubbing his eyes and yawning. I really don't want him to get in the habit of me holding him while he is sleeping, but he really needs sleep. Any suggestions?

6 comments:

X said...

lol, I love that look on his face in the "mom I'm naked!" picture! For Caleb he would always poo his pants as soon as I got in the shower, so then I would have to wash my hair in less than 30 seconds and go change a diaper soaking wet!

Caleb was the same way with naps! We had to be holding him. one thing I wish I had tried was a sling (something like from www.hotslings.com ) I think he might have been able to nap snuggled up against me in a sling while I could still walk around and do things.

Kristen said...

So I have never tried a sling, but I have heard wonders about them. Then he would be close and you could do whatever you wanted. One thing that worked for Carter when he got that way was his bouncer. It vibrated so it would lull him to sleep, when I was in the shower, working, or whenever he just wouldn't nap in his bed.

Good for you for working out. I was horrible at that and I just complained that I was fat. Hmm, I guess I should have taken some initiative.

Jeana Bird said...

Thanks for the photos Melea. He is so cute. I love the bum crack one. Does he even have a bum?! That was Brooke's problem, nothing to hold the diaper up. Great job working out, you look awesome. It sounds like you are handling the no sleeping thing pretty well. I would just sit around crying, asking "why aren't you sleeping." It happened a number of times.

Best of Luck. If we get a non sleeper, my number of children will de drastically cut (j/k but at the time they aren't sleeping it feels like it).

Kevin said...

Hey Birds! I don't know if you have tried this, but Claire likes sleeping on her boppy. Maybe it simulates our arms!

Kelly said...

Adelaide had to be swaddled really tight to sleep well (and for a long time) and when that started to not work anymore I just got a bigger blanket! Gorden pretty much needed to be held though. Other suggestions would be... sleeping in the car seat or a vibrating bouncy seat. My kids did great with those. (until Gorden would hit the "off" button, then Adelaide woke up every time!) Good luck! (Pray!!)

Claudia said...

Hey Melea! We got the birth announcement and saw that you had a blog, and I just had to check it out! Maddox is so cute! I scrolled through your past posts, and you were just the cutest pregnant lady ever--I wish I would be so lucky to only gain 16 lbs. Anyway, you can check out our blog as well: adamandclaudiasworld.blogspot.com. You guys look great!