Saturday, February 23, 2008

No Pictures

This is a post of no pictures. Not much else goes on in our lives that doesn't have to do with Maddox. At this point he still rules our lives, so this is still about him, but without photos.

Recently Maddox has been crying and screaming literally whenever I try to feed him. Why? I have absolutely no idea. The only thing I can think of is that I am eating something he doesn't like? I am on this new diet where I don't eat any sugar in any form whatsoever and no complex carbohydrates...So I am eating a lot of veggies and wondering if any of you have any suggestions as to what your own babies have struggled with when you nursed.

He also won't sleep AT ALL! This has been going on since birth a bit, but has gotten extremely bad because now he is really really tired and always yawning and rubbing his eyes and fussy. He will only fall asleep when either Jeff or I are holding him upright or with the pacifier and it is only after at least 30 minutes of coaxing. Then the minute we put him down he wakes up and refuses to go back to sleep. I still love him tons, but any advice would be more than welcomed!

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh Melea, I can totally relate. Carter had a really hard time if I ate broccoli or anything spicy like salsa or stuff like that. I just weaned those things out of my diet and then introduced them one at a time and the salsa he got used to, but I was pretty much banned from broccoli the entire time I nursed.

As to the sleep thing, we learned so many new positions to hold the child in, maybe he has gas, Mylicon was our best friend. Also, if we held Carter facing outwards with our arms across his stomach, he would fall asleep with us bouncing. However, we still have to bounce him now so it isn't something they outgrow. At least we don't have to hold him the same way.

Sorry for the huge comment.

Casey Redd Kennington said...

We've had some similar trouble with Elsa. She's 8 weeks now and the past two if she wakes up to find no one is holding her (usually after about 10 minutes), she goes nuts. We've been able to put her in her swing (Katie's mom bought us a battery-powered swing) and if we wrap her up so she basically can't move her arms to her face, she falls asleep in minutes.

LeMira said...

It actually sounds a lot like Colic. Two of my neighbors have just recently dealt with that. The babies grow out of it, but not until they're 3 or 4 months. I'm so sorry. I hope it's not colic because there's really no cure for it.

Kelly said...

A lot of babies get really gassy if the nursing mom eats/drinks DAIRY products. (It doesn't mean they are lactose intolerant. Our pediatrician said its a milk-protein allergy and that Gorden would out grow it.) Some other common things to cause gas are chocolate, broccoli, and spicy foods. We love Mylicon drops! (the doc says they are harmless) Also we experienced that same thing you're dealing with as far as(not)sleeping goes! Swaddling is what worked in the end. We ended up needing a bigger blanket b/c he could get out of the one we were using, and often we'd still hold him to get him to fall asleep, but his arms were tied to his sides to do it! (we called it the "sleep hold") good luck!! You can do it! Just pray, then you'll figure it out!

Whitney said...

Obviously I'm not speaking from personal experience but both of my sister in laws had major problems with broccoli when they were nursing. Something to think about. Good Luck!

Carly said...

Hi Melea--glad I stumbled across your blog. Congrats on the little guy! Those sleepless nights are soooooooo hard. Hang in there. I was given the recommendation of Baby Bliss' Gripe Water to help with what we think is gas in our son. It is said to help with Colic/hiccups too. It seems to have really worked. I think you can get it at drug stores or order it online. Good luck.

Whitney said...

I changed my blog to sewmakeme.blogspot.com
just thought I'd let you know. I apologize if it screws up your link or google reader.

Whitney