Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Our Ward's Newlywed Game


Soooo...remembering back to the Newlywed Game reminds me of our Newlywed Game we put on in our ward. It was supposed to be the best activity yet and I think it still was all right, except for the fact that the kitchen caught on fire. Let me explain...

I will leave our names for the sake of those most closely involved. So we assigned out various areas, such as food, advertising, the game, decorating, to different couples on our committee. We had one new couple on the committee who wanted to a challenge, so they chose to do food. I told them exactly what to buy and they wrote it down, the whole time offerring my services if they needed them. The week of the event, they dropped off some of the sauce ingredients to my house because I had offerred to make a pot of sauce. I again asked if they needed any help. Nope.

Friday evening we went to the church at 5:00 p.m. to set up for the event that was supposed to begin at 6:00 p.m. Everyone was supposed to be there. Everyone was except for the couple in charge of food. At 6:15 p.m. we still had not seen them and people were there expecting their food, but we had no rice and no drinks at this point. They were getting the rice from BYU Take Out Catering and bringing the drinks for us to mix up. So, we had all the food except for theirs...and no peas and no dessert. They finally walked in around 6:20 p.m. with bags of eggs, vegetable oil, pans, measuring cups, brownie mix, lemonade mix, frozen peas and some rice. They then proceeded to mix up like 15 pans of brownie mix, only one of the ovens wasn't working and the other was being used to warm the chicken cordon bleu we were serving atop rice with peas on the side. I was fuming inside when it finally clicked that they had not handed out half of the peas or any of the dessert!

To make a long story short and to save me the emotions of it all again, I didn't say anything until they put a Pyrex bowl full of brownie mix on one of the burners on the stove. A couple minutes later we all heard an explosion and glass flew everywhere in pieces no bigger than pebbles. It is a good thing we all had our backs to it. Then the brownie mix that was in the bowl fell to the burner and started on fire and smoke was going everywhere! We put out the fire and kept right on serving the food. Then someone came back in to say they had bitten into their chicken and found a piece of glass stuck in it and cut their mouth. A couple other people had the same thing happen. Someone else said their chicken was raw! Overall, we really were blessed that no one was seriously hurt and the activity turned out wonderful. I think people were so full too that no one really noticed the lack of dessert. The next Sunday Jeff and I were released from our callings...needless to say we went out with a bang!
The pic is about the size of the fire we had in the church kitchen. When it did happen, I kind of lost it and told the couple that, "We are not supposed to be cooking in the kitchen!" That was all I said...of course it was in a mean way. Anyway, I made the wife cry and later apoligized and made them cookies, although I doubt we will ever be good friends now!

P.S. We were not released because of the activity. We were way past our one year mark... :)

4 comments:

Amanda Finlinson said...

Melea-That is the funniest story that I have ever read. And the picture is worth a thousand words! What in the world were they thinking! I love your blog-by the way! I love keeping in touch this way!

Melea said...

I think the problem is that they weren't thinking...:)

LeMira said...

I can say that I understand the feelings of being let down by someone on a committee- goes with the calling I think. I know I would have been a basket-case!

Danica said...

Those are the kinds of things that suck while they're happening, but are so great cause they give you a great story to tell for years to come. :)