Friday, April 27, 2007

VP Dick Cheney's visit to BYU's Commencement


Okay, so yesterday Jeff and I ended up going to commencement. I got over my fears of someone blowing up the Marriott Center or someone going on a shooting spree. It was hard, but I did it! Actually, I just really wanted to go and I realized that a member of the First Presidency, namely President Hinckley, was going to be there and that made me feel safe. I am glad that I went too! We got a ride with our neighbors around 1:45 p.m. to the Marriott Center. The lines were SUPER long. Everyone stood in line while I walked around to find a shorter line. I did and we were able to get in after waiting 45 minutes in the hot sun. Everyone had to go through security, like at the airport, and I was able to bring food in! Yeah! I had packed a few things and figured I would just throw them away if I needed to.We found a seat way up in the rafters, but it was really nice because they had little packages of food and I got to take three because no one wanted to sit that high. They had water bottles in them, a small pretzel package and a brownie, so I ate a PB&J and three packages of pretzels while we were there. Commencement was finally over at 6:00 p.m., so I am very grateful I had food to eat. Then we walked home and Jeff made a yummy yummy dinner of chinese chicken salad. I ate two whole bowls full! Can you tell my life revolves around food and/or the lack thereof? Sometimes it is really annoying, for me and for others!
More about commencement, though. I was very happy that everyone treated VP Cheney with respect and applause. Sometimes I think he got more applause then he would have had President Hinckley not have been standing right next to him walking in...but I was glad for it. I knew that nationally BYU was being watched to see how we reacted and I was very happy that everyone respected Cheney and nothing happened at all. His speech was extremely enjoyable and interesting and short, which I liked! He was funny and yet shared personal stories that made it so interesting. Like this one: He started out his talk by saying that his wife and him had ties to this valley and school. His wife's ancesters were Mormon pioneers and crossed the plains with everyone else to settle the valley. Two of her relatives attended BYU Academy and graduated from there as well. He said that the LDS faith has had a big impact in their life and his wife's especially and that she was very proud of her Mormon heritage and would think even better of him now that he has an honorary degree from BYU. He then shared his personal experiences with his life plans and how it is good to have a plan for our future, but to be open to the opportunities we may be blessed with and that sometimes the life we have planned for ourselves isn't the life that is best for us. He used his own life as an example. When President Samuelsen introduced him, he said VP Cheney attended Yale and then left to go home and later finished up at the University of Wyoming. VP Cheney went back to this in his talk and said, "You are probably wondering what happened with Yale." He went on to say that he started college at Yale and after a few semesters there, they asked him to leave...twice! And the second time they asked him not to come back. He mentioned how important it was for us to realize that everyone experiences failure, but it is how we handle the failure that is important. He continued on in school of U of W where he met his wife. They went to Minnesota for his doctorate. He wanted to graduate and teach on campus as faculty for the rest of his life, but while doing his doctorate, he was approached by someone at the White House and had an opportunity to start work in government and public service...so he said his life totally changed from then on out. He never finished his PhD. He said he is still trying to figure out what topic he wants to do it on.
So that is pretty much it. I really enjoyed his talk and was very happy with the whole experience! It was also nice to see him smile and not be so serious. Sometimes I feel bad for him and others in public positions. They definitely make mistakes, just like the rest of us, but they are always reminded of them by people wherever they go. I think I would cry the whole time I was in office if I had his job...and that's why I am a secretary!

3 comments:

Danica said...

You are so cute and funny. I love reading your blog! Thanks for the update - we miss BYU and Provo and Wymount and stuff.

LeMira said...

We watched commencement from our couch and listened to the VP. Matt looked up Nadar's talk -- the alternative commencement -- and he said that Nadar bashed on Cheney. I can't believe he turned a commencement speech into a political debate!

Melea said...

Yeah I heard about Nadar's speech and that is was REALLY LOOOONNNGGG and boring and political. Glad I didn't go!