Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Good Doctor

So I remembered this story I could post that would be entertaining to everyone who has known my health issues over past year and a half...

BACKGROUND: To bring you all up to speed, about 1 1/2 years ago I started having health problems. Doctors couldn't figure it out and so I was sick like this for over a year...until I got a new job. Then it all went away and we figured out it was the stress and anxiety produced from my job situation. During that period of time, I was diagnosed with a heart problem called vasovagal syncope (which means I never can run again and will keep passing out for the rest of my life and it will only get worse) and put on beta blockers (WRONG), told I had a brain tumor and multiple sclerosis on a Friday and finally told on the following Tuesday that the doctor had read the report wrong and I was tumor free and multiple sclerosis was not an option, and finally I was told I had restrictive lung disease (which entails being on a respirator for the rest of your life) on a Monday and the next day told the nurse read the report wrong AGAIN! This was, by the way, at three totally separate doctor's offices! This all happened within a period of a couple months and can I just say by the end of it my mental and emotional capacities were shot!



PRESENT: A couple weeks ago I went to the doctor for a random check up because I had been feeling kind of wierd and it came back that one of my hormone levels was off. It was prolactin...sooooo, I had to go in for another MRI of my brain because when these levels are elevated a lot of times it is caused by a tumor on your pituitary. Just when I thought I was finally fine and healthy again, this happens! Anyway, I went in for the MRI and they had to put contrast in me through an IV to see better. I had this last time and nothing really happened. This time, however, when it went into me my heart rate shot up really fast really quickly and I started feeling like I was going to pass out and I got a metallic taste in my mouth. They have speakers in the MRI machine and the girl said, "If you have any problems, just tell me and I can stop the procedure." So I said, "Um, I think I am going to pass out." No answer. So I said it again a little louder and looked in the mirror to see the girl checking her hotmail email on one of the computers in the glass room...not even paying attention. I eventually screamed, "Help!" a couple times and nothing. Then I just got furious! I think that helped me through it. I didn't pass out and ten minutes later she came in like nothing was wrong. I was so mad I told her what I thought...Actually I wish I would have told her what I thought, but instead I told her calmly what had happened and to be more careful next time.



The MRI was normal...Yeah! No tumor! I had to wait for the results over a weekend again and throughout the next week until Wednesday. By that time I had figured out that if there was something seriously wrong they would have called right away like the previous time they told me I actually had one! Anyway, that is my emotional rollarcoaster of a life. The conclusion of the story is...doctors are human too and all humans make mistakes, only doctors should make less because they are dealing with a patient's life. Needless to say, I think now that I am a better doctor for myself then anyone else...unless I have had my leg recently severed, I am better off without one! I will put in one plug for my brother-in-law though. I trust him...but good doctors are hard to find now a days. Best of luck to everyone else in their health endeavors!

3 comments:

Danica said...

Hey Melea - wow, I was so shocked reading all that at what you've had to go through. I'm so sorry, you sweet girl. Do you feel okay now?

LeMira said...

I'm so sorry for you. I'm not sure I would ever want to trust a doctor again after those experiences, either.

Melea said...

I am healthy as a horse, as the saying goes! Really, I just don't do well under stress...it makes me physically ill. I guess I am just overly sensitive or something. Oh, and the results were that I am fine and they have no idea what they are talking about, especially when money is coming THEIR way. :)