Friday, April 20, 2007

One of "Those" Days

Do you ever have one of "those" days, where you feel like the world hates you and everyone you come in contact with is out to get you? Well, today is one of those for me. It is probably due to some hormonal imbalance and thus I am thinking illogically, but I thought I would share with you and let you tell me if I am the problem or them...

My first encounter with the grumpy came when I entered the door to work. I was happy as today is Friday and we get to wear jeans on Friday. I said, "Good morning" to my coworker and asked how she was doing. Absolutely no response whatsoever...not even an acknowledgement of my presence. The thing that sets me off is that it is not like this just once in awhile (because we all have bad days and we all aren't feeling well all the time), but it is like this EVERY DAY! So after three months of working my job and getting pretty much the same response everyday, making a resolution to be even nicer the next day has gotten me no where. This really wouldn't bother me so much if everyone was treated this way by her, but it is just me. What did I do besides smile and try to be nice? She will speak happily to everyone in the office but me. She will go in and close the door to my supervisor's office and they will sit in there and giggle and talk for an hour or so. They will leave to go to meetings that I am supposed to be at too and never tell me where they are going.

My second one occurred when the student walked in, Grumpy's sister, laughing and happy because Sanjaya was kicked off American Idol. Okay, so Sanjaya Malakar wasn't the best singer on American Idol, but what did he ever do besides get on stage and smile? I said, "But it was kind of sad when he started crying." She stated, "No way! My sister and I were laughing so hard! I am so happy! It made my day! I hate him! He doesn't deserve to be there. He is ugly and gay." It just made me so mad at the lack of concern for another person's feelings without even knowing them. Perhaps it is because I feel extremely judged and singled out and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

My third one happened because today was my supervisor's birthday, so I brought in chips and salsa and fruit for everyone to eat. Grumpy brought in a seven layer bean dip and brownies for her best friend. They all went in to my supervisor's office to celebrate while I was on the phone. By the time I made it in there they were all done and leaving. I filled and plate and ate by myself. Then I took a bit more and couldn't finish the rest, so I left it there and told my supervisor I would finish it in a little bit. Everyone else had left their stuff there as well, so I figured it was okay and my supervisor said okay too. I went to lunch and when I came back, Grumpy was in there getting ready to eat lunch with my supervisor in her office and another girl. I went in there to grab my stuff off the table and couldn't find it anywhere. I asked where it was and she said there is stuff in the fridge maybe check in there. I said no, I just checked the fridge and it wasn't in there. She said again (neither time ever even looking in my dirction), "Check the fridge maybe it is in there." I went and checked it again and it wasn't there of course. She chucked it and denied the fact...so while other people's plates sat there, mine was gone. I could actually care less that it was thrown away...what makes me mad is that she denied it.

A forth upsetting factor in my day...Grumpy's sister saw the chips that I brought. Don Julio. So they aren't the best tasting, but I buy them in bulk for Jeff (my husband) because he has high blood pressure and they are low in sodium. I also brought the lime Tostitos ones because I wanted a variety for everyone. Well, the first thing I hear is a series of, "Ew! Gross! I hate these chips! Who brought these? These are the most disgusting chips ever! How are we supposed to eat our bean dip now!?" How insulting...did she bring anything at all? Nope.

Anyway, if you can't tell already I am really upset. I am really starting to wonder, "Is there something wrong with me?" The same kind of things happened in my last job. Cuz if there is, somebody please tell me and I will be more than happy to try to work on it! I know I have my definite weaknesses and sometimes I can appear grumpy myself when I just don't know what to say and sometimes I am just plain grumpy and sometimes I am too opinionated and overbearing or close-minded, but everyone has their weaknesses, but no one deserves to be treated or made to feel this way.

I did talk to my supervisor about it because of what happened at my last job and I didn't want this situation to spiral down to that one, and things seemed okay for about a week or two, but now it is back to how it used to be...perhaps worse. So here we are...Grumpy and me, sitting right across from each other. Everyone else has left the office for the day. It is just her and me and has been for the past 30 minutes. With 30 minutes left to go, will she even look at me or utter a peep? Nothing so far.

I probably shouldn't post this, but if you are reading it, obviously I did. I just can't understand what I have done to be treated this way at two jobs in a row? I need some ideas. Anyone?

4 comments:

El Chambon said...

Well, Melea, you and I both know that wherever you go people are gonna open up a can of hatorade and chug it down. People are willing to trash on you because they know you won't react and therefore you become their scratching post. You make a difference though by the way you are willing to do your best to make those low in spirit feel their great worth. Don't forget how great you are and what you mean to the people around you. I miss you guys a lot, and it has a lot to do with the fact that you and Jeff make feel like a good guy and not a scratching post.

Nataliehlambert said...

Oh sweetie! What a crappy day. How about I show up at work and smack some sense into her. I don't have to be nice!And I can be really intimidating. At least that is what all the boys in high school used to tell me. hehe. You are wonderful don't ever doubt that, I am sure she is just really insecure. Just know that I love ya!!! Call me if you need anything, I MEAN IT!

Melea said...

Thanks for the advice and compliments. I wasn't fishing for any, by the way. Viddy, we are soooo excited to see you in a couple days! Jeff talks about it every two seconds. He can't wait to go golfing with you and we miss you too and are glad we are moving at least within driving distance so we can come visit and you can too!

Natalie, I sure am going to miss you in the ward! When do you leave move? We really have to get together again sometime soon and do another girls night either before or after you move. See you in church!

LeMira said...

It seems that every person I meet that intimidated me has become a great friend. If I had let my first impressions get the best of me, I wouldn't have many friends. I think those girls just take grumpy-clicky pills every morning. Maybe they need hormone replacement therapy!