Friday, February 20, 2009

Honesty

The other day I saw a lady trying to park her car and she hit another car as she was pulling into a parking spot. She finished pulling into the spot and sat in her car and drank a pop or something (I was speculating on exactly what she was drinking) and then just got out of the car and walked off. I rolled down my window and without any tact whatsoever yelled, "Hey, I saw you hit that car!" She turned around and started yelling at me. Of course, I am sure she was already shaken up or upset over what she had just done and then I called her on it and it just set her off. As I sat there, dumbfounded, and she proceeded to walk into the store, the owner happened to walk out of another store. Anyway, I told the owner she had just gotten hit and pointed out the lady. I hated to "tattle tale" but I really didn't know what to do. I didn't want the lady who got hit to have to pay for the damage and I would hope someone else would do the same for me. Anyway, I could have done a better job handling it, but I have never had great tact. So, that was my good deed for the day, only I didn't feel quite so hot after doing it and getting yelled at.

9 comments:

Casey Redd Kennington said...

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/1_ne/16/2#2

The Johnson's said...

The same day I bought my first car, yes all by myself. I went the the insurance place and I was sitting in the car, some lady pulls into the spot next to me, opens her door right into my car and walks into another store!! I was in the car!! No damage so I didnt flip. However I do love when people are honest.

Same thing happened to Nate's car when we were skiing, when we got back to the car there was a note on it and a huge dent in the door. The note said so and so had hit the car and gave us his number. He happen to own a dealership and fixed the door, plus some other dents that we got from who knows where. How nice of him to be honest like that and it makes you happy that there are people like that in the world.

Whether or not there was damage to the other persons car I bet it gave them a piece of mind to know that someone did hit them and you did call them out on it. The lady who did it was probably just freaked out, or a real you know what. So tattle tell you are, but it was awesome of you to have the guts to yell at her!! Maybe she'll think twice next time!

Megan said...

I wish someone had been there to yell at whoever backed into and dented the back of my brand new minivan. You totally did the right thing! s

Noel Dickens said...

The Dickens have your back...Some crazy lady starts yelling at you again and we will go Mafia style on her rumpus. Call us...1-800-WhoopYa. Not that you need us telling you this but you did the right thing. Thank goodness for good people like you.

By the way, the post before this one was hilarious. I especially liked the part with the toilet paper and the bathroom.

Alyssa said...

I am totally in agreement with you and stand behind your actions! Whatever happened to simple honesty? It has come to mean so much more to me lately than it ever has before! Good job!

Claudia said...

There is a show on ABC (I think) that is called "What Would You Do?" that creates situations such as this to see how people will react and do what is right. The woman who hit the car didn't seem to do what was right, but at least you did! Good for you, I say!

Kelly said...

Wow! I am actually surprised that she yelled at you!! Seriously?!?! I think you did the right thing by saying something.

Joslin said...

One snowy day, I was late for work, trying to park my car, when I slid on black ice and hit the car parked next to me. I was sure I dented it! I didn't have a pen or anything on me to leave a note so I ran in to work, asked the guy next to me for a piece of paper and kept an eye out the window for the owner. On my break I ran the note down to the car with all my info on it in case they wanted me to pay for it. At the end of the day I saw the guy, who gave me the scratch paper, get into the car that I hit! The next day he said that his car had been hit so many times and no one had ever left so much as a note. He told me not to worry about it and we were all good. It made me feel good to know that I had been honest in my dealings and it really worked out fine.

Romney Family said...

Hi Melea, my number is 801-372-0293. We do need to do something soon, because I only have 7 weeks left. Although I hope they fly by really fast. I am getting so uncomfortable.