Friday, October 10, 2008

In a Bind

What a mess we are in right now...or I should say we are hopefully getting out of. We are praying it doesn't last long as we are poor college students! We moved into a house last week and were led to believe the cigarette smoke smell we smelled was the maintenance man. It wasn't. So now we are having to break our lease, which means we are forking out the big bucks, rather than stay in a smokey house. No fun. Our landlord refused to admit it smelled like smoke, even though every single person who came over said it smelled like smoke. I even called a professional who gets rid of the foul odors in homes and he smelled it and told me it would cost thousands of dollars to fix this house of the cigarette smell. Our landlord told us it was the new laminate flooring that was put in. The catch is this: we smelled the smell before the flooring was even put in and we told it was the maintanence man, who was there that day. Yes, we are gullible and naive. We have learned several lessons from this. Big ones and a hard ones and we are definitely humbled.

PLEASE pray that we will be able to rent out this house before the end of the month! We are currently paying double rent, as we moved back into our apartment, which I am ever so grateful for. AND, if you know anyone who is interested in a house, which is actually extremely cute and perfect and doesn't mind cigarette smoke smells, send them out our way! Or better yet send your prayers up to Heavenly Father to help us find a tenant soon!

6 comments:

X said...

I'll keep you in my prayers! I would be moving too in your situation, I think people who do smoke just don't realize how strong and offensive it is- even weeks after a smoker has been somewhere. It took us months to find a place to live, just because that was a huge deal to us. We finally got very lucky and found a place where the landlord himself prohibits smoking on the property.

I hope you can get it all resolved soon!

Danica said...

I'll keep you in our prayers! It seems to me, however, that you could stop paying the rent b/c you have a very good reason for a breach of contract on his part.

El Chambon said...

My prayers are with you guys, I'm sorry to hear that everything isn't going the greatest. I'll try to give you guys a call in the next couple of days.

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you...clean the other house, etc. We'll be praying for you though. It'll work out!

Grant and Taryn Layton said...

Thanks for the tip on the shoes! Grant felt bad last night so did a pretty good job washing them out in the sink. They're drying by the fan right now so if that doesn't work out we'll try the washing machine (even though mine isn't as new and cool as yours!) Good thing they were brown shoes to start out with :)

Joslin said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you guys get out of it soon.