Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Mall

We made it to D.C. and back again and we are still alive! Maddox did very well and was such a good baby, save for me having to nurse him on the Metro during rush hour...can I say embarrassing? At least he was eating, though, and that is a miracle in itself!


We stayed with one of my college roommates and her husband. They were gracious enough to show us around the Mall on Saturday, which also happened to be the annual Cherry Blossom Festival and kite festival. While we walked the entire day miles and miles, these people had another form of transportation...Even though I was really tired by the end of the day, I think I would rather walk then join this group of wierdos. Sorry to anyone who has one of these contraptions or likes them. They are just silly looking and to see a whole pack of them roaming around... they look like they belong in a Dr. Seuss book or something. Jeff took a picture of the "sniper" on top of the White House. I am not sure if that is what he really was, but there was a big party going on that night, so maybe...
The whole family in front of the White House. It was the end of the day by then and we were all exhausted, a little bit grumpy, and ready to sit down! Of course, Maddox was ready to stand up and play after sitting all day!
This is a picture of some homeless guy who lives across the street from the White House. Apparently he is protesting and has been for years, so he cannot be removed from the property. It is ridiculous...he has been there for at least five year, if not longer and it just looks trashy. I was wondering, where does he go to the bathroom and how does he get his food? Does he just leave his stuff sitting there?

Here we all are hanging out in front of the Lincoln Memorial. Maddox was sleeping so we had him covered up.
While we were walking around, there were a million people flying kites for the kite festival. This guy must have forgotten his or maybe he is from a different country where they fly kites with fishing poles...? Seriously, I busted up laughing where I saw this guy. He was standing all by himself waving this fishing pole around with something hanging off the end. It was strange, but it is D.C. and so maybe it actually wasn't that strange.
Maddox snuggling with his blanket. He was such a good boy the whole day!
Peek a boo, I see you!Jeff, Krystal, Jared, and Maddox walking. That is what we did all day...walk!
All bundled up and ready to go!

The whole family once again in front of the Washington Monument.
We went to an IMAX movie: Dinosaurs 3D. It was Jeff and Maddox's first one. Maddox liked it so much that he ate and fell asleep while I covered his ears the whole time. It was loud!
Isn't he cute!?!?

6 comments:

Jeana Bird said...

It looks like you guys had a really great time. I want to take Robert (and probably Brooke) to D.C. maybe one day (I'll add it to my list of places to visit). Melea, your hair is getting so long, I love it (it looks great either way though). Thanks for posting all the photos.

Claudia said...

Glad you guys had a fun trip--I've always wanted to go to D.C.!

rozalyn said...

You guys are so patriotic. Thanks for posting your pictures. I loved each of them! And I'm so glad you guys had a great trip. You definitely deserved a vacation (and a million dollars too)!

El Chambon said...

Loved that you guys came! When can I get a copy of that picture we took just before y'all left?

Kelly said...

your little family is so darling. Melea you look sooo great for just having had a baby. You would never know by looking that your body just went through that! Looks like you had lots of fun. What a great opportunity!

Smiths said...

How fun! I'm so glad Maddox did so well for you...and we're sad we couldn't meet ya'll there. Melea I ride one of those funny contraptions! haha Just kidding; it does look exactly like something in a Dr. Seuss book! I love how you even thought of that!