Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Our Apartment

We have moved in to our apartment and unpacked everything. I only lost a couple things, that I can remember...my measuring cups and spoons and a couple really nice spatulas. I am sure there were other things in the box with them, but I can't yet remember, so I hope they weren't too important!

Our apartment is...nice enough. We have brand new carpet, which definitly makes up for the other problems, such as wallpaper in both bathrooms, dining room, and kitchen. I wish the pics I took with my camera would have turned out, but the photos just don't do it justice, so I will describe it to you. This will also give you a taste of Kentucky decorating techniques (nonexistent). First, everyone here LOVES wallpaper, as previously noted by the fact that four out of the seven rooms have wallpaper on every wall. The kitchen is my favorite though. It it green and white striped. The thing that gets me is that the person who put it up didn't really care that it was all going the same way. They laid some vertically and then right next to it were horizontal stripes. Can I say tacky and lazy and UGLY?

We confronted management about this little problem, how we were promised white walls and they said they would come and paint, only they would not take down the wallpaper first. Again, tacky! So Jeff and I have been taking wallpaper down the past couple days. If you ever have to tackle this project, please let me know because I am an expert! The secret is apple cider vinegar! Yes, that is all. Just fill a spray bottle and spray the wallpaper, let it soak, and it peels off in huge chunks. We only have one bathroom left and we are "done." Then there's still sanding, caulking, priming and finally painting. Needless to say, we are still pretty upset about the whole situation, but are trying to work through it. I will post some pics when we are done.

I forgot to mention that cleaning in Kentucky means something totally different as well. Clean here means that you don't have to sweep or mop, clean toilets (yes, they had black mold in them when we moved in), wash counters, clean fridges, vacuum, wash blinds caked with years of dust, wash window sills with dead spiders/bugs, clean spiders out of the showers, fix leaky faucets, fix windows that leak and don't open more than 4 inches, clean ovens, clean mildew/mold in the bathroom, and you don't need a bar for the toilet paper to spin on. We listed all these on our move-in sheet and management said they would fix it all tomorrow. Well, 10 tomorrows later we still haven't heard anything or seen maintenance doing anything but driving around in their stupid gold cart! Jeff is going to go talk to them today. I will keep you posted on how it goes!

4 comments:

alyssa said...

Hooray for blogs! I loved reading over yours. I was especially fascinated with the story of how you two got together, and I am sure glad that you did so that we can have you here in Kentucky with us!!! Sunday was really fun, we will have to do it again soon.

Alyssa

Danica said...

That is so sucky about the apartment. I hope you guys get everything done before school starts. Thanks for sharing, it was fun to read.

LeMira said...

Wymount, despite it's close quarters and other imperfections, will probably be the cleanest apartment you'll move into. Cleaning is so overrated to others.

alyssa said...

Hey! I wanted to tell you that I found a piano for sale and I took a flyer for you. I dont know how often you check this, but I can just bring it to church if I dont hear from you before that.