Wednesday, May 16, 2007

First Doctor Visit

Mainly because I want to kind of have a journal of how I am feeling and how my body is changing, I will probably enter quite a bit of entries on my progress, so sorry if this bores anyone. There will probably not be a lot of pictures, although when I am really showing I will post one.

The first thing I want to mention is that I am 11 1/2 weeks and I barely fit in my pants! They were so loose before and now I have to unbutton them when I am sitting down! This is way too early to show, isn't it? I haven't gained a pound since I got pregnant, but my belly sure looks it. I am wearing jackets to kind of cover it up at work, although they know I am pregnant because of the sickness. Did anyone else pop out that fast? It is kind of embarrassing because there is another girl in my office (but a different department) who is stick thin and 22 weeks pregnant and is barely showing! I guess I just have really weak stomach muscles and can't hold it in or I am going to carry my baby sticking WAY out like a torpedo!

I got to hear the baby's heartbeat again yesterday at the doctor's office. It was 174 beats per minute. They also drew my blood to test for HIV, blood type, hepititis, etc. I sure hope I don't have HIV... :)

As for my morning, or should I say day/night/24/7 sickness, it is coming and going, but isn't nearly as bad as it was at the beginning. When it ends, do you just wake up one morning and it is gone for good, or does it slowly taper off? Mine seems to be getting better, but some days are better than others. Any advice?

I found out the official name of the tear. It is called a subchorionic hematoma. The doctor wasn't concerned because mine is so small...about 1 inch across. She did say that if I start to bleed at all, then to call and we will do another ultrasound right away to make sure it isn't any bigger and the baby is okay. I am still worried though because I have had two early miscarriages already and don't want to lose this one. We think the other ones were because I have low progesterone, which I felt might be my problem, so I requested a blood test of my progesterone levels early on in this pregnancy and they discovered it, so now I am on a prescription (Prometrium). Just a side note: you know your body best so listen to it, even if the doctor says you are fine! If I hadn't requested that test, I would definitely not be this far along.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the congrats! We are so excited! My due date is December 2, right before Jeff's dental school finals, so I hope he/she (I think it is a "she") isn't late!

4 comments:

Danica said...

For me the sickness went away within a week - I realized at 13 weeks that I hadn't thrown up in a week and then I never threw up again! Everyone is so different as far as when they show - you CAN'T compare yourself to other girls (especially the stick skinny kind!) b/c everyone is so different. You should check Target's maternity section b/c I got so many cute work pants there for really cheap on clearance. I'm sorry about your early miscarriages. I had one as well, remember? Well rest and take care of yourself and continue the posts cause I love it. It's way too exciting of a time not to!

Melea said...

Yes, I do remember you sharing your experience with your miscarriage with me. I actually thought a hundred times about asking you about it and what it was like, how you made it through, etc, but it is such a sensitive topic sometimes. Being pregnant (and having a baby I am sure) definitely helps deal with the losses.

LeMira said...

My sickness was similar to Danica's. At 14 weeks, I was suddenly feeling better. She's right that everyone's different, so listen to your feelings and don't be afraid to ask any questions that you have. The doctor will not think you're dumb, she'll be glad you asked. Doctors don't know what you know, so they're counting on your questions and concerns. One thing that helped me with my 24-hour sickness with my second pregnancy was sleep. I know that's hard to do when you work, but sleep seemed to help me A LOT.

Texas Red said...

I ran across your blog on here and was intrigued. I am right at 33 weeks pregnant. I couldn't fit into my jeans about 10-11 weeks, so don't feel bad. Plus, I have gained about 50lbs since this whole thing started...way more than is recommended. But, I eat healthy, exercise, and drink tons of water, so everything is fine. Sorry to hear about your morning sickness. I was a lucky one and did not have to deal with it at all. The only way I knew I was pregnant was because I was 3 weeks late. My mother, on the other hand, had it the entire 9 months with both of us. Good luck with your sickness and I hope it subsides soon!