Thursday, January 10, 2008

Health Update

After a few days of inhalers and being at the doctor every single day this week, Maddox is doing much much better and is WELL on his way to being better, which is great because Mom is tired and getting sick herself. I woke up this morning with a sore throat, so I am hoping he doesn't get this too!

My sister is in town to visit and luckily she has been here to help me through all of this, although I think she gets even more scared than I do when Maddox has a coughing attack. The first time she held him he had one and ended up throwing up all his dinner all over her and out his nose. She freaked out and now is kind of afraid to hold him when he is coughing, which doesn't happen too much anymore.

If you know my past, you know that I have GREAT luck with doctors. Kentucky is no different and it seems Maddox's luck is no different either. The past couple weeks have been one filled with worry and then relief and worry and relieft and STRESS. :)

Story #1 Just a couple days after bringing Maddox home from being hospitalized for a "heart problem," we took him to a post-hospital check up at the pediatrician (which we switched doctors after what the last doctor observed regarding his supposed nonexistent 30 beats per minute heart problem). This doctor weighed him and he had gained 6 oz in two days, up from his birth weight of 8 lb., which was great.

So the next week we went in for Maddox's two week old appointment and they weighed him and said he only weighed 8 lb. 7 oz, which was not enough weight, so they weighed him again and he weighed 7 lb. 9 oz. on that scale! They flipped out and I did too. They said he wasn't gaining weight and I had to wake him up every two hours and feed him and bring him in in two days for another weight check. Well, I have a home health nurse that comes to my house (a free service provided for new mothers through the health department). She is great and I love her. I called her and she came the next morning with her non-digital scale and weighed him and he was actually 8 lb. 12 oz., which they doctors later confirmed when I brought him back in. So much for not thriving! He is a growing baby. Lesson: Never trust digital scales balanced by residents.

Story #2: So Maddox has had RSV. Yesterday, after a clean bill of health from the cardiologist and the pediatrician saying Maddox is well on his way to feeling better and there is no need to bring him in anymore, I go home to check the mail. I normally love checking the mail (minus bills). This time I saw a letter from the state to Maddox Bird. I opened it and read that his blood tests that test for potential deadly genetic diseases came back abnormal and he had to be retested. Yeah, just when I thought we were free and clear and Maddox was for sure healthy, he now may have a genetic disease, so I called the pediatrician, who now knows me by name, and scheduled to come in for lab tests today. I asked the nurse what test came back abnormal and she said for some reason there was one test (with a really strange name and disease) came back inconclusive, which she interpreted as they weren't able to determine if he does or doesn't have it. Whatever...I am assuming with my luck with doctors and lab tests that Maddox is healthy. We will know the results of that test next week...I will keep you posted, although I am pretty sure he is okay.

Story #3 Maddox had his lab tests this morning and while testing for that we noticed his manliness was a bit swollen on one side. So it was back to the doctor this morning. Turns out they don't know what it is and said to watch it. It looks like his circumcision is accumulating fluid on one side and making him a bit crooked. I am going to ask the OB/GYN, who did his circumcision, to look at it next week when I go in for my 6 week check up. Jeff is very concerned. :) Got to love my life!

Knock on wood we don't have to go back to the doctor tomorrow! Really, life is great being a mom and Maddox really is a healthy little boy. He has just had a rough start, but he is super cute and we love him. Here is a video of him smiling for the first time "for real." It was my sister who figured out how to get him to smile and here he is performing his first real trick! Enjoy!

12 comments:

Kristen said...

oh Melea, of all the things to pass on a generation and you gave Maddox your Dr. luck. JK I am sure it is just a fluke, or something not that it makes the stress go away. Loved the updates though. I say trust your gut, mothers instinct is stronger than most give it credit

Danica said...

Oh he's so so cute! I'm sorry for all (and I mean ALL) the stuff you've been through - jeez! You are such a trooper and it sounds like Maddox is too. Love you guys!

X said...

poor babe! I hope and pray that is the last of the health and healthcare problems for a very very long time! He is getting cute and cuter everytime I see pics :)

El Chambon said...

Well, take heart in knowing that he's probably just as tough as his parents. He's really cute and remember babies are more resilient than we often believe.

LeMira said...

Hang in there! You can get through this. I really do know how rough it can be going back and forth to doctors with a little one. If anything, you are becoming one medically-educated parent -- which is so very important!

Casey Redd Kennington said...

Maddox looks stronger than anyone thinks. He's a happy little trooper for all he's gone through in his first month. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Elodie said...

I'm sorry that your family is not done with all the doctors mistakes and false alarms ! Hopefully your cute little Maddox will end up growing as strong as his mom and dad ! Keep up the positive attitude !

Amber said...

Oh my heck, Melea! I am so sorry that you all have to go through such a headache. I hope all goes well with the lab results, and please know that I will do ANYTHING to help.

The Reynolds Family said...

Hey! I forgot my cell phone at home today and I don't know you phone number to call/text to remind you about the phone numbers... but I realized I have a Dr. apt. today too! So if you don't get this or don't remember hopefully I'll get it from my Dr.:) Thanks!

The Spanns said...

Melea! I have wondered onto your blog through other friends' blogs and have been catching up! Sounds like you guys have been busy (to say the least!) but I am glad to hear that everything is working out! Maddox is ADORABLE! Congrats!

Amanda Finlinson said...

oh my goodness Melea! All of those stories makes me want to cry and brings back to many memories of my weeks at the hospital! Poor baby! I would not worry about the genetic test..I am sure he is fine! Give maddox a hug for me and remember this to shall pass....believe me! Hang in there!

Laura Weight said...

Hey girl! I am so sorry that in his first month that he has had to experience all of that! I can't believe that already he is a month old! I am so happy for you guys-- I just wish i could meet this little guy in person! WE miss you guys so much!!! Ahh the good laughs we have had together!!! Who knows-- its a small world, maybe we will be around you guys again sometime the line....
By the way-- we have found a new love--- its amazing-- you would love it -- its super healthy--- its called swirll, and its this yummy frozen yogart kind of place. and they put loads of fresh mangos, blueberries, ect on top! it is divine.